Our aspiration for every learner:
At Guru Nanak Sikh Academy, we believe that Design Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject which encourages pupil’s creativity and imagination. Our curriculum offers the experience to select and use appropriate tools safely and effectively to make a product they are proud of.
With the majority of our pupils with English as an additional language, our Design Technology curriculum allows our pupils to immerse themselves in a hands-on learning experience to express or communicate their ideas. Specific techniques and skills are modelled to our pupils so they can explore and appreciate the design, make and evaluate cycle.
At Guru Nanak Sikh Academy, we understand that Design Technology allows children to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems, within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. In all areas of Design Technology the children are encouraged to consider the effectiveness of their designs and requirements of the product. Every child will have the opportunity to learn and extend their understanding, experience and application in the use of technology, including I.C.T, in as wide a variety of situations as possible.
How we support our pupils to acquire this learning:
- Following the three main stages of the design process: design, make and evaluate. Each stage is underpinned by technical knowledge which encompasses the contextual, historical and technical understanding required for each strand.
- A detailed scheme designed by experts in their fields, adapted specifically to the needs of our pupils to ensure every child;
- Following a spiral curriculum model for pupils to revisit key skills with increasing complexity for progression and will leave Year 6 as well rounded artists.
- Lessons incorporate a range of teaching strategies with hands-on experiences to appeal to those with a variety of learning styles.
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook
How we measure our achievements:
- Pupils can understand the functional and aesthetic properties of a range of materials
- Understand how to use and combine tools to carry out different processes for decorating and manufacturing products
- Pupils build and apply a repertoire of skills, knowledge and understanding to produce high quality, innovative outcomes
- Understand and apply the principles of health eating in their personal lives
- Develop an appreciation for key individuals, inventions, and events in history and of today that impact our world.
- Our pupils recognise where their decisions can impact the wider world in terms of community, social and environmental issues.